We are now accepting applications for Archive Service Accreditation from eligible archive services.
To apply, an archive service must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a collection which meets the definition of an archive
- Meet or exceed the required size of collections
- Offer some access to archive collections beyond members of the parent body
- Have some collections in analogue format: solely digital archive services are not currently eligible
- Be managed by competent staff, with access to professional expertise
- Be equipped with dedicated secure storage for records
For full details of the eligibility criteria and all other aspects of Archive Service Accreditation, see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/accreditation.htm.
Archive services planning to make an application for Archive Service Accreditation after 5 April 2018 should note that we are carrying out a light touch review of Archive Service Accreditation and its guidance documentation, including the application form. This means that the online application system will close from 6 April 2018 until mid June 2018 to allow for the form to be updated.
See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives-sector/archive-service-accreditation/applying-for-archive-service-accreditation/ for further information.
The archives sector in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland is represented in the partnership which developed the scheme and supports its implementation:
- The National Archives
- Arts Council England
- Welsh Government through its CyMAL: Museums Archives and Libraries Wales division
- National Records of Scotland
- Scottish Council on Archives
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
- Archives and Records Association (UK & Ireland)
- Archives and Records Council Wales